Welsh Streets

£15m Welsh Streets plans submitted

Liverpool’s £15m plans for the redevelopment of the Welsh Streets neighbourhood of Princes Park has taken a major  step forward, following the submission of the official planning application.

The plans would see over 150 new homes built in the area as well as the refurbishment of 37 terraced properties – 16 on Madryn Street, 5 on High Park Street and 16 on Kelvin Grove. The scheme has been submitted by Liverpool housing association and Neighbourhood investor, Plus Dane Group, which has been working in partnership with Liverpool City Council to develop the regeneration plans for the area.

Under the proposed scheme, the new homes for the local community and new residents will be built to the highest standards and will be available for affordable rent and sale, providing a diverse mix of housing for the area designed to be energy efficient and spacious, with many including gardens. Under the plans, 280 homes will be demolished.

The proposals support the recommendation of a new independent report published last month by property service consultants DTZ, which looked at a range of housing renewal options and concluded that the plans for the “replacement of obsolete housing and redevelopment with new homes” is the most effective method to support the regeneration of the Welsh Streets.

Following extensive consultation with local residents, the plans have received significant support from the community living in the area, with over 70% of residents in favour of the proposals.

Claire Griffiths, Managing Director of Regeneration and Commercial Development at Plus Dane Group, said: “The submission of proposals for the Welsh Streets follows extensive work with the local community over the last 10 years and rigorous independent analysis to develop the strongest possible plans to drive the area’s regeneration.

“The proposed scheme will create a vibrant mix of high quality homes along with a number of refurbishments, offering more choice and new green open spaces to meet a wide range of needs. Crucially, the scheme has been developed with the needs and aspirations of local residents at the forefront, which has been key to informing plans for new homes in the Welsh Streets throughout the whole process.”

Liverpool City Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing, Councillor Ann O’Byrne, said: “I’m delighted that the planning application for the Welsh Streets scheme has now been submitted. It’s a significant milestone for the plans, which we believe will transform the area, revitalise housing and create a thriving, vibrant neighbourhood for generations to come.

“Everything we are doing is aimed at building a brighter future for local people, and we have worked closely with them for many years to ensure all voices are heard. The message we have received, loud and clear, from the vast majority of residents, is that that they are in favour of our plans and want things to happen quickly.

“I’m hopeful that we will now be able to move forward with the scheme, so that we can get on with delivering the vital housing renewal that this area so badly needs.”

The findings of the Neighbourhood Renewal Assessment and the final plans will be available for local residents to view and discuss with Liverpool City Council and Plus Dane Group at an event at Toxteth Town Hall on Wednesday 20th February.

 

 

 

 

 

More Stories
Domestic abuse – don’t suffer in silence during the coronavirus outbreak