Voluntary groups in Woolton will benefit from a charity established to improve recreation and education in the neighbourhood.
The Woolton Educational and Recreational Charity is using the interest on the proceeds from the sale of Woolton Village Club in 2000 to make awards to local groups.
Last year a total of £20,600 was distributed with the following organisations benefiting:
Bishop Martin Primary School–improvement of IT provision-£2500
Friends of Gateacre – summer planting and watering – £4543
Marie Curie Cancer Care – improvement of IT provision for patients -£1450
Woolton Village Residents Association–provision of summer planting-
Woolton in Bloom – provision of summer planting and watering-£6000
Woolton Primary School-outdoor soft fall surface – £3000
St Julies’ High School – benches for faith garden -£1020
Woolton Society – reprint of local history booklet – £1055
This year it is anticipated that between £15,000 and £20,000 will be available from the Charity.
Applications should be made by 28 February 2013. Application forms can be obtained from Mr. R. Thomaides, Liverpool City Council, Municipal Buildings, Dale Street L2 2DH (Tel 0151 225 2405) or email email@example.com
Woolton Village Club was originally given to the Urban District Council of Much Woolton in 1896 by William Dodge James. It was sold for £300,000 and the interest on the proceeds of the sale is used by the Charity. which owned the club, ” for educational and recreational purposes for the benefit of the inhabitants of Woolton and the neighbourhood with the object of improving the condition of life of such persons.”