A purse with coins and banknotes

Council Tax energy rebate update – Monday 20 June

We know lots of you are asking when you will get your Council Tax Energy Rebate.

We are processing them as fast as we can, and we have already made over 93,500 payments.

This update outlines the latest position.


We’re paying first our residents who are on Direct Debit, as we have their bank account information on our system.

We have now paid the majority of our residents who pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit from their own bank account.

The remaining Direct Debit payers, where a query has been raised on our systems, are being looked at as a priority. If we can verify eligibility using our existing records, we will do so. If we can’t, we will be in touch to ask for additional evidence.

If you paid your first Direct Debit in May, we will need you to apply via an online portal. We are writing to affected customers with details of how to apply and will process them as a priority. We will contact you and there is no need to contact us.


Letters are being sent out to households who pay by standing order, have Council Tax paid through their benefits or pay through their Liverpool City Council salary, with details of how to apply.

You can also choose to have the £150 deducted from your Council Tax bill, if you wish.

Due to the large number of households entitled to claim, the letters are being sent out in batches. This is so that we can manage the processing of applications effectively.

We will be putting in place alternative procedures for people without internet access, with details included in the letter.

If you have any queries, you can email ctenergyrebate@liverpool.gov.uk


I can’t afford to wait until the payment is made

We know that many people are struggling with the rising cost of living.

Liverpool City Council has a range of support in place:

Benefits advice

Request benefits advice or get help with Universal Credit claims today at www.liverpool.gov.uk/bms or check if you qualify online at www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators. You can also call freephone 0800 028 3697 or visit any One Stop Shop. You can also speak to your landlord if you’re a social housing tenant. You can also freephone 0800 028 3697.

Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme

If you find yourself in crisis you can apply for support to get food and basic necessities for you and your family including gas and electric vouchers (urgent needs) and furniture and household essentials (home needs). An emergency or crisis might be a fire or flood, or you have had to move due to violence or fear of violence, or you are leaving care or prison and need support to stay in the community. Find out more: www.liverpool.gov.uk/benefits/help-in-a-crisis/liverpool-citizens-support-scheme/.


Your local Citizens Advice can help you deal with debt. You can book appointments with a specialist advisor by calling 0344 848 7700 or visit www.citizensadviceliverpool.org.uk to find your local office. For details of other organisations go to www.liverpool.gov.uk/debt

Council Tax

Call us today on 0800 028 3686 if you’re having problems paying your Council Tax, have Council Tax arrears, are struggling to pay back overpaid Housing Benefit, or owe other debts to the council.

Free school meals

Apply today at www.liverpool.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals or call free phone 0800 028 3697.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support helps you pay some of your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits. You can claim whether you own your home or rent, or whether you’re working or unemployed. Find out more: www.liverpool.gov.uk/benefits/housing-benefits/council-tax-support/

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) can give you short term help to pay your rent when Housing Benefit or Universal Credit does not meet your rent in full. You can apply if you receive Housing Benefit or the housing cost element of Universal Credit or there is a shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement. Find out more: www.liverpool.gov.uk/benefits/housing-benefits/discretionary-housing-payments/

I am in a Band E – H property and I am struggling to pay my bills

We do know there are some families living in larger properties in Bands E to H that will also be struggling, so in July we hope to be in a position to release details of a discretionary scheme that you may be eligible to apply for.

More information about the criteria, and how to apply will be provided in the coming weeks.

Liverpool Waterfront