A hundred Liverpool households are being protected from a silent killer – carbon monoxide.
CO detectors are being fitted in the homes of vulnerable residents who have been identified by the Healthy Homes Advocates teams.
The detectors were supplied by local charity Dying to Keep Warm which has raised money from Liverpool churches and businesses to provide a range of assistance for people who need help in reducing risks in their homes.
They are being fitted free of charge by Liverpool City Council’s Handyperson’s service, delivered by social housing provider Riverside who are also giving advice about energy suppliers who provide free gas safety checks.
One of the residents who has had a detector fitted in his home is Mr Laurence Brereton, of Liverpool 14. He said:: “I’m very impressed with this service and glad the opportunity to have a carbon monoxide monitor fitted has been brought to my attention.”
Councillor Ann O’Byrne, cabinet member for housing, said: “We are very grateful to Dying to Keep Warm for supplying these detectors and our Healthy Homes team has worked with Riverside to ensure that more of our residents are safe in their homes.
“Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it can kill quickly and without warning if gas appliances and flues have not been properly installed, maintained or are poorly ventilated.
“These detectors will bring greater peace of mind for vulnerable people.”
Claire Richards, Riverside Service Development Leader, said: “We are very pleased to support this project. It takes very little time for our Handypersons to fit a carbon monoxide detector but it can make such a difference to peoples’ lives.
“This project helps to demonstrate the wider importance of our Handyperson service across Liverpool, to help people to stay safe in their own homes.”
Please call the hotline on 0151 295 6102 for further information about the Handyperson service.
Pictured: Mr Brereton with senior handyperson Stephen Zwart.