After the success of last year’s Ping! Liverpool, which saw 40 ping pong tables appear across the city to get everyone fired up for the Olympics – they’re back!
From Monday 22 July nearly 25 tables will once again spring up throughout Liverpool with locations ranging from Albert Dock, Liverpool ONE right through to Toxteth Fire Fit Station and Liverpool University.
The tables will be in place until Sunday 18 August, which means for nearly one month people will be able to get active and have fun – all for free!
After the month is up, ten permanent concrete tables will remain in parks and green spaces across the city. This is as a result of the huge success of the 2012 programme which saw thousands of people picking up a bat.
Liverpool City Council’s Mayoral lead on parks and open spaces, Councillor Peter Mitchell, will be joined by pupils from Alsop High School to launch Ping! at Walton Hall Park at 11.30am on Tuesday 16 July.
Councillor Mitchell said: “We had fantastic feedback from people who made the most of the tables last year, with many people keen to see the tables return so they can dust off their bats and show off their ping pong skills!
“I’m sure the initiative will be just as popular this year, and it’s great to know that even when it’s over, the city still has permanent tables in many of our parks and green spaces for people to make the most of all year round.”
A programme of events take place across the four weeks, which means there will be competitions where anyone can take on friends, family or a complete stranger, tournaments and master-classes. For more information visit www.pingliverpool.co.uk.
The tables can be found at:
• Albert Dock
• Bluecoat Chambers
• Camp and Furnace
• Capital Building (in the atrium)
• Croxteth Country Park – permanent table
• Greenbank Academy
• Jubilee Sports Centre
• Lifestyle Austin Rawlinson
• Lifestyle Garston
• Lifestyle Wavertree Sports Park
• Liverpool ONE
• Newsham Park – permanent table
• Northway Recreation Ground – permanent table
• Phythian Park – permanent table
• Princes Park – permanent table
• Queen Square
• Rice Lane Recreation Ground – permanent table
• Sefton Park – permanent table
• Speke Hall
• Stanley Park (near Isla Gladstone Conservatory) – permanent table
• Toxteth Fire Fit Station
• University of Liverpool
• Walton Hall Park – permanent table
• Wavertree Playground – permanent table