The festive party season is now in full swing. To make sure you keep safe this Christmas follow these simple tips from Merseyside Police to make sure you plan a safe night out:
• Plan your journey home before you set off. Pre-book a taxi, or arrange a lift with a non-drinker. Perhaps even select one of your group to be the designated driver and buy their soft drinks during the evening in return for a lift home.
• When you’re out never leave a drink unattended and never accept a drink from someone you have just met or don’t totally trust.
• Never leave your handbag or mobile phone unattended, even for a short time.
• Did you know that you could help to protect your mobile phone and other valuables by registering it with the UK National property register Immobolise? It’s a FREE service and increases your chances of having your property returned to you if it’s lost or stolen. Visit www.merseyside.police.uk to register.
• If you need to withdraw cash, try to do it in the day, when there are more people about and only take out what you need.
• Enjoy the celebrations but know your limits and stay in control. Drinking too much this Christmas could earn you an £80 fine for being drunk and disorderly.
• Never get involved in violence. Fighting in the street could get you six months in prison and a criminal record. Even if you didn’t start a fight you can still be fined or arrested for being involved.
• At the end of the night if you decide to walk home avoid doing so alone and stick to busier, well-lit streets.
Overall crime in Merseyside is falling; in the last six years there have been over 80,000 fewer victims of crime. Let’s work together to keep crime down and enjoy the festivities this Christmas.