Terraced housing

New energy standards for rented homes

If you live in a privately rented property, your landlord needs to meets certain energy efficiency standards.

Known as MEES (Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards), owners letting out a property must ensure that it has a minimum energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of E.

This could mean fitting a new boiler or heating system, or improving insulation – and they may be eligible for funding to help pay the cost.

So far Liverpool City Council has written to the owners of 467 privately rented properties with a G rating and issued a letter about the need to comply.

Around 200 are yet to respond, and could be followed up with an enforcement notice and a possible inspection visit which could result in fines of up to £5,000.

Why are we doing this?

Councillor Sarah Doyle, Cabinet Member for Strategic Housing and Regeneration, said: “Too many of our residents live in poor standard accommodation and are paying over the odds for gas and electricity because their homes are so poorly insulated.

“We believe that many landlords are not aware of the new legislation or are choosing to ignore it so we need to take action.

“It could make a big difference to the lives of individuals and families who are facing rising fuel and energy costs.

“There is government funding available to help pay for improvements such as the installation of a new boiler and central heating system or better insulation.

“The landlord will be able to benefit from funding for these vital home improvements but more importantly, the quality of living conditions for tenants will improve. “Reducing carbon emissions is a priority for the city and every property that is more energy efficient is helping us meet our goal of helping tackle the climate emergency.

How to check an energy efficiency rating

An EPC will give an energy efficiency rating and an environmental impact rating. It will also estimate the energy use, carbon dioxide emissions, lighting, heating and hot water per year, along with the potential annual costs for each.

If a property has been marketed for sale or to let, or it has been modified in the past 10 years, it should have an EPC.

Find an EPC by postcode on GOV.UK

It is a legal requirement to have an EPC for a privately rented property. An EPC can be obtained from a qualified assessor. A landlord can book a property assessment online on GOV.UK

How we can help tenants if your landlord fails to take action

A landlord must comply with their legal obligations to improve the property to a minimum standard – an EPC rating of E. If your landlord fails to take action, please contact mees@liverpool.gov.uk for further advice and guidance.

The powers around MEES will also feature within the revised Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy and be part of regular checks undertaken as part of the new five year Landlord Licensing scheme which will be introduced from April 2022.

I am a landlord – how can I improve an energy rating and how much will it cost?

Liverpool City Council can help landlords apply for a Green Grant which is subject to eligibility and a survey. Contact mees@liverpool.gov.uk for further advice and guidance.  

The maximum cost of improving an EPC rating from F or G to E is £3,500 including VAT. Find out more about typical improvement costs on GOV.UK.

Liverpool City Council is also hosting a webinar on 27 January 2022 with a further update on the progress of the project and other useful information for landlords – to register please email mees@liverpool.gov.uk or click here.

Liverpool Waterfront