After just three weeks in the job we thought it was about time we got to know our new Mayor a little better.
We put Mayor Joanne through the paces of our ‘top twenty’ quick-fire questions:
1. Where did you grow up? Netherley, except for a few months in Australia when I was 14.
2. What was the best job you’ve ever had? Barmaid at the Horatio Hotel on Lord Nelson Street.
3. What was the worst job you’ve ever had? Being a chambermaid as a teenager. I cried most days!
4. Where did you go to school? I attended primary school in Childwall and later went to Notre Dame in Woolton (which changed to St. Julies).
5. Who’s your inspiration? All women stepping into political positions, particularly black American women including Stacey Abrams.
6. What makes a good leader? It’s about providing the right infrastructure for people to thrive and feel supported.
7. How do you unwind? Over dinner with friends, or with a good box set.
8. What’s your favourite box set? The last one I watched was great, called The Good Fight.
9. Who’s your favourite Beatle? John Lennon.
10. What’s your favourite food? Definitely Italian.
11. Do you have any pets? No, I already have my hands full as a single mum.
12. What’s your favourite film? Delicatessen, a French post-apocalyptic black comedy. I also love anything directed by Pedro Almodovar.
13. What’s are you currently reading? I’m listening to Stalin Ate My Homework, by Alexei Sayle on audiobook.
14. Who’s your favourite artist? Al Green – the only singer able to move me to tears.
15. Greatest holiday? Havana is my happy place, roof top pool bar, frozen mojitos on tap and live Cuban music in the background.
16. Have you got a hidden talent? No, all my talents are already on show.
17. How many hours sleep do you get? Six if I’m lucky, I’m an early bird.
18. A night out or night in? A night in. I would happily sacrifice 100 nights out for one foreign holiday!
19. What’s your favourite Liverpool Park? We’re blessed with many, but I love Sefton Park, I cycled there a lot in lockdown.
20. What’s the best thing about Scousers? We don’t take ourselves too seriously and whilst we are friendly, we also have an edge – which I like.
Here’s some highlights from Mayor Joanne’s first three weeks in office: