The owner of a takeaway in Liverpool has been fined nearly £3,500 after pleading guilty to eight food and hygiene breaches.
Mr Tee Man Yung, who runs New Yungs, on Orwell Road in Kirkdale, was fined a total of £3,465 – including costs to the council and a victim surcharge.
The Magistrates Court was told that on 24 October 2017, Environmental Health Officers from Liverpool City Council carried out an unannounced routine inspection and found:
A large number of mouse droppings on the premises, in close proximity to where food was stored and prepared.
There was a build-up of grease and dirt on food preparation surfaces, with food debris scattered around.
In a fridge, uncovered, ready-to-eat food was stored next to raw meat.
Raw chicken stuck to the kitchen door handle and lock.
External doors were damaged and not pest-proofed.
Mr Yung was informed his premises posed an imminent risk to public health and he voluntarily closed the takeaway with immediate effect.
A follow-up inspection took place on 16 November 2017 and officers found Mr Yung had carried out work to ensure conditions had improved, he had engaged with a health and safety specialist and effective pest control measures were now in place.
The business owner pleaded guilty in court on 6 December 2018, and sentencing took place on Monday 28 January. District Judge Lloyd acknowledged the co-operation of the manager, but added: “When running a business like this, it’s up to you to understand the rules. You had the Food Standards Agency documents and should have known what was required. To be blunt, so much of it is common sense – keeping it clean and having proper pest controls in place. I am pleased that you have now taken advice and I understand that conditions are now much better.”
Councillor James Noakes, Cabinet Member responsible for Environmental Health, said: “Mr Yung has deservedly received a substantial fine due to his blatant disregard for the health of his customers and breaching legal obligations.
“We are pleased to hear he has made significant changes to the operation of New Yungs, however we hope this case sends out a strong message that substandard hygiene in any food outlet across the city will not be tolerated.
“Our experienced team of environmental health officers are prepared to prosecute any business which puts their customers at risk.”