Village celebrates 100 years of being part of Liverpool
on 1 min read
Woolton Village is to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Much Woolton UDC, and Little Woolton UDC being incorporated into the City of Liverpool from the County of Lancashire.
This took place on 9 November 1913. Exactly 100 year later – on Saturday 9 November -a bronze celebratory plaque will be unveiled the mark the anniversary.
The local community have arranged for the plaque to be fixed in the village at the HSBC Bank in Allerton Road. The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Gary Millar, will unveil it at approximately 12.10 pm.
Plaque designer, local architect Mr Tony Griffiths will present a smaller copy of the full size plaque inscribed ‘ From the people of Woolton to the City of Liverpool ‘to the Lord Mayor .The smaller plaque will be permanently displayed at a later date in Liverpool Town Hall.
The Lord Mayor will tour the village centre calling at a number of locations to meet members of the business and residential community including Sainsburys at Woolton Street: St James Church Hall Church Road South where there will eb a Craft Fayre and be open from 12 noon to 2.00pm, with the church building being open to visitors;the former Mechanics Institute St Mary Street, andWoolton Baths visitor centre will provide schools artwork, historical / heritage presentations, Beatles information, refreshments and be open from 12.30pm to 3pm.
The Woolton Society will also provide a heritage walk on the day, setting out from the Simon Peter Centre, Church Road at 1.30pm.